Thursday, August 9, 2012

What's in a Name?

Quay Anna (pronounced Kway, long /a/ sound) - How did we we decide on a name for our little daughter?

When we were in college together, Daniel and I made a few trips out to the western part of Pennsylvania, near a town called Benezette.  Our destination in Elk County was the Quehanna Trail, always in the autumn.  At this time of year, eastern elk are mating and can be found all over the woods and even the town.  They can be heard doing their signature mating bugle.  It's all very beautiful.  We visited and hiked along the Quehanna (like Susquehanna without the Sus-) Trail alone and with some close friends.  Each time we went, it was a great experience in the woods.  It was here, approximately ten years ago now, that we first came up with the name Quay Hanna after this trail we loved.

Several years ago we were in a Barnes and Noble, or maybe Borders, and Daniel was looking up baby names in one of the display books near the front of the store.  He looked up Quay and found that it said this was a more unique and original name if we liked the name Claire.  Claire, although spelled without the 'i' (Clare) has, for a long time, been one of my favorite names.  Quay seemed even more fitting now.

As time went on and we had a son and then our second pregnancy revealed that we were having a daughter, we discussed the name Quay Hanna more and more.  Should it be one name?  Two names?  If it was one name, would we still give her a middle name?  We don't really love the name Hanna.  How should we spell Quay, Quaye?  What about Anna since that was Daniel's grandmother's name? 

About two months before Quay's birth, we received our monthly copy of our college's, Bloomsburg University, alumni magazine.  In there, we saw a blurb printed up about former graduate and author, Quay Hanna.  What were here parents thinking?  :)  It was like a sign.  We were both shocked.  This solidified for me that her name should be spelled Quay.

As we decided on Quay Anna and she was born and people close to us speculated on where the name came from, we got all sorts of questions. 

It has something to do with the water, like a wharf - is that where it came from? 

No, but that's a cool connection.  We love the water. 

It means a safe landing place - is that where it came from? 

No, but that's pretty neat, too.

2 comments:

  1. I occasionally Google my name and came across your blog post today! I am Quay Hanna (www.quayhanna.com), the Bloomsburg grad and author in Lancaster, PA! I'm actually a male and my name comes from the last name of a PA senator from the 1800s named Matthew Quay. My great-great-grandmother liked the name and gave it to my great-grandfather as a middle name, who then gave it to my grandfather as a middle name. My mom gave it to me as a first name and I gave it to my son as a first name. His name is Quay, Jr. but he goes by QJ. I feel honored that I share the name with your daughter and hope she has a productive and wonderful life. Just thought you might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessing Daniel and Kristen on your sweet girl...what a fun name...
    So excited for you guys...

    ReplyDelete