Friday, August 24, 2012

Baby Quay is Growing

On Wednesday of this week I had an appointment with a lactation nurse.  Quay has been exclusively nursing, but she has had some minor difficulties that have required support from this awesome team of nurses.  It seems that when one issue is fixed, another little thing emerges and causes trouble with Quay's latching.  I think we've got all our problems solved for now - hopefully! 

When the nurse weighed Quay, she was 10 pounds, 13 ounces.  She kept remarking that she couldn't believe that Quay was exclusively breastfed, because she was so plump (hmmm . . . is that a good thing?).  She said she would calculate exactly how many ounces per day Quay had gained since her last appointment last month.  She also said that doctors like to see a healthy baby gain between 20 and 30 grams per day.  When her calculations were through, she remarked that Quay had gained an average of 39 grams per day since her last visit.  Yikes, I thought! 

The nurse reassured me that Quay was very healthy and it was okay that she weighed so much.  She also told me that I have an abundance of milk.  I suppose that's good since my little one eats so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment