Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Belly Dancing

What better way to celebrate baby weight loss than to take a belly dancing lesson with the girls?!

Last Saturday, we got together for one of our girls only adventures. It was a blast! Tara planned this one and set it all up with Sara at the Open Your Eyes to Dream studio in Bloomsburg. Our instructor, Chrys, was amazing and so knowledgeable about the dance. She gave us a brief history of the fascinating art and then taught us some basic moves which we put together in various dances that we did. It was a truly wonderful expression of body-loving, non-judging woman-ly-ness.

Afterwards, we were planning to have a scrumptious dinner at Bloomin' Thai, but they weren't yet open when we finished, so we opted for the Indian restaurant in town, Sakuntala. Mmmmm, it was so delicious. I had to run home real quick and feed my little bambino before dinner, since he refuses the bottle and doesn't eat enough solid foods to keep him going. My sweet lovely husband did baby duty thoroughout the day to allow me to have such a wonderful day with the gals :) It all worked out really well because I did baby duty late that night so Daniel could go see Cabinet play at Harry's.



Me, Jenny, Sara, Tara, Morgan, and Jessica posing before we started the lesson. Chrys brought some coin belts for hip-shaking jingling and other scarves and fun things for us to wear!




I think I can speak for most of us when I say we had to pay close attention to the instruction since none of us have a lot of background in belly dancing :) There were some challenging moves for me - but I'll admit to being fairly uncoordinated.


Working the classic shimmy!



The lesson ended with Chrys asking each of us to take a turn dancing in front of the group. She explained that although we may not want to do that, we were surrounded by the most supportive group of women, our friends, and that no one was here to judge. It was SO fun!



Jessica and I showing off our curves!



Group shot in the funky OYETD studio after we were all finished

1 comment: